south gates

Interested in the history of the area or sharing memories or old photos from the local area? Post here.

Re: south gates

Postby suzook12 » 18 Feb 2018, 11:39

EWW wrote:I lke this picture that shows the S Gate before the park was built.

Excellent pic. Looks like what became the Eastern Counties workshop was part of the forecourt that became the texaco garage. I'm guessing the buildings at the very bottom were part of the gas works? I have only ever seen it with a wall around it as pictured in the gas works thread although I understand from that thread there were other buildings on that site at some earlier point.

I'm not sure what the drain is that runs under the bridge at South Gates, may be the Bawsey Drain? but it tracks right back past Middleton Towers to East Winch, shown on this pic completely uncovered. I just about remember the park being turned into a park after the drain was covered over.

I have no recollection of The Crown at all, may be before my time when that went. But the other pub on the roundabout, I do remember some of the yard buildings being knocked down around the 90's and some more just recently.

Do you know when that picture was dated? From what I can see of the cars I would hazard a guess of around the 30's?
suzook12

Postby EWW » 18 Feb 2018, 13:29

Picture taken 1928 and the little river is the "Middleton Stop Drain" known locally as the PUNEY. Lots on the forum about it.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 18 Feb 2018, 14:49

The Middleton stop drain makes sense as tracks back towards East Winch right past Middleton Towers. The Puny is running across the Nar south of the old muck works and is the one thats been filled in with a school built on it coming from west Winch. So is Puny different to Puney or just a variation? If so the 2 have become confused.

Been looking at maps, as far as I can make out
Fisher Fleet- Bawsey Drain
Purfleet- Gaywood River (unverified)
Mill Fleet- Gaywood River
Friar Fleet- Nar and Middleton Stop
The 2 filled over outfalls in South Lynn being Puny upstream and Pierpoint downstream

Sourced from google maps and verified with OS maps. Doesn't mean its always been that way though.....

Thats what I love about old photo's and the like. Provoke one thought and it snowballs into hours scouring maps and stuff and finding out loads more than intended
Steve
suzook12

Postby EWW » 18 Feb 2018, 17:42

Think I may have given you a bum steer there on the puny (puney) all depends on what map you are looking at. Will check maps and get back to you.
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby EWW » 18 Feb 2018, 22:25

I think this link is helpfull. The drainage section has the Puny mentioned and the schematics show it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Nar
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 19 Feb 2018, 01:26

Yep, so until recently the outfall was as suggested, the upstream of the 2 at South Lynn and it is the Middleton Stop that flowed in front of the South Gates. I have seen that page before regards the Nar being navigable, but hadn't paid much attention to the puny drain section.... I guess the river has changed quite a bit over the years as you wouldn't believe boats of any size ever navigated it, but does explain some of the weirs tucked away that we used to hunt out for fishing.

I understand about the map situation, google maps often have things incorrectly labeled whereas OS seem more reliable so no reason why there shouldn't be variance on older maps. Google obviously having the advantage that you can actually see it at street level....
suzook12

Postby EWW » 19 Feb 2018, 09:57

There are pictures of the type of barges used on the rivers taking cargo into the hinterland from the Ouse on here.
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 19 Feb 2018, 18:27

Using the search facility has taken many tangents and seen yet more excellent photo's, especially of the boal and mill fleet areas.
I would imagine the barges used were similar to the one pictured below. I know they were horse drawn along the nar and staunches were used to control water depth up to Narborough maltings.

When you look at the river now you wouldn't beleive this was possible though
suzook12

Postby EWW » 19 Feb 2018, 22:36

There is a picture I posted on here somewhere and I cannot for the life of me remember which thread it is. The picture is of a couple of small barges
with girls names on them. The barges were used on the river systems. This link to an old thread tells that the Nar is a SSI and have been since 1992.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5309&p=32508#p32508
EWW

Postby suzook12 » 22 Feb 2018, 23:08

There is a picture you have posted on the muck works thread that shows a lighter barge on top of the Nar bank behind the works ;-)

Apparently on the downstream run they brought milled grain for the breweries and milled bone fertilizer for the muck works and took coal and such upstream, all drawn by horse
suzook12

South Gate

Postby Emmo » 06 Dec 2018, 14:00

Does anyone know the exact date when the South Gate area was widened to make it two way. :D
Emmo

Re: South Gate

Postby EWW » 06 Dec 2018, 15:15

In this picture of the two way system being opened by the mayor I posted many moons ago, if you can work out who he is it will be a good indicator.

EWW

Postby Appso » 06 Dec 2018, 17:41

I have seven pictures with no access to the right (when viewed going into town) typical, none are dated. But I have a note that says the year was 1900 when this road was opened. The earliest dated picture I have showing the road out of town, beside the Southgate, is 28/9/1904.
Appso

Postby Emmo » 07 Dec 2018, 11:30

Thanks very much for your replies.
Emmo

Postby EWW » 08 Dec 2018, 13:05

Managed to find a date for ceremony from NRO. It looks like the mayor in the picture was Mr Bristow (Bristow and Copley) just before Mr Savage
was installed as mayor. Hope this helps EMMO.
Main Title:
King's Lynn, Mayor and officials at a ceremony to widen South Gates in 1900.
Date of Work:

Think I may have posted this before.

EWW

PreviousNext

Return to LYNN AREA HISTORY